Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Thankfulness

Greetings!

As some of you know, I recently celebrated another successful revolution around our dear, light-giving sun. It was a quiet, pleasant day. 

Sometime during the afternoon, while I was sitting outside studying Khmer, my host sister looks at me and says, "Oh, you're eating dinner out with my father and I tonight." Oh, I am, am I? Then later it was a simple, "We go now." So off I go, riding on the back of Vandy's moto, with her friend driving alongside of us. After a detour, stopping at a quaint shop, we cross the railroad tracks and drive down the road to one of the omnipresent bamboo hut restaurants.  

A bamboo hut, similar to where we ate


Vandy, her friend, and I joined my host father and a co-worker who were already waiting. We ate a delicious dinner; they ordered for me, a Khmer crepe called បាញ់ឆែវ (banh chow), which happens to be one of my favorite Cambodian meals thus far. THEN they surprised me with a lovely cake. 

Matt, my country coordinator, asked how my day was, in just six words, so I said, "a quiet celebration with good cake."

Elephant Gift
ដំរី (damrei) means elephant

I am just constantly overwhelmed with thankfulness for this host family of mine. I'm thankful for their care and concern for my well-being, their provision, and my host'-mother's fabulous cooking skills. I'm thankful that they're one of the sweetest, open-heart families that I have ever had the privilege and pleasure of meeting. They have much to teach me of compassion, of generosity, of love...

Responsive art project
អរគុណ (a-koon) means "thank you"

Cheers, and love to all back home,
KMJ

1 comment:

  1. Howdy from Texas, Kyle! I thought I would use the native language of my host state since you are using the native language of your host country. :) I have spent some time this morning ready your newsletter #1 and catching up on your blog. Your little spot in the world looks absolutely amazing. I'm so excited that you get to spend this time learning about the world outside of our self centered culture, and I'm proud of you for taking this step (leap?) of faith. It sounds like your birthday party was great fun! I ADORE the little stuffed elephant. What a great reminder that will be of the people and places you loved in the years to come. :) I look forward to more of your blog posts, and to your next news letter. The pictures are wonderful. Have a great week! Janet Cabiness

    ReplyDelete