Thursday, September 22, 2016

Companionship

companionship (n):
          the good feeling that comes from being with someone else *

Yesterday before dinner, I walked to the riverside with my host mother. On our journey back, night had already fallen, so we walked under a blanket of darkness. We walked in silence. It was a comfortable silence, a peaceful silence, but it was a silence that waited to be broken. It was a silence that was holding its breath, opening its mouth to speak but not finding the words, and subsiding again.

I was out walking alongside this beautiful woman, one who holds my hand as we cross the street to ensure our togetherness, who points out "tuhk" (water) so that I don't walk through the mud, and who congenially performs charades to tell me the wind is chilly or that we were to go on this walk.

You see, my host mother does not speak English, and lamentably, I do not speak [intelligible] Khmer. So on this walk, we walked in silence, and we walked in peace. I eagerly await the moment when I can chat with her about my day, when this walk is filled with words and laughter.

But for yesterday, I was overwhelmed with a feeling of companionship and of comfort. I was comfortable walking alongside this woman, sharing this experience with her.

Yet, I was struck by how different our experience could be. While I was walking, I was thinking about how dark the street was, how nice the temperature was, how glad I was that we were together... in English. I was thinking in English. Perhaps my host mother was thinking about how dark the street was, how nice the temperature was, how glad she was that we were together... in Khmer. Perhaps those were not her thoughts, but perhaps she thought something similar. Regardless, my stream of consciousness was running in English while hers was running in Khmer. Our experiences would be described differently by our contrasting languages. The same, yet different. Intertwined, yet distinct.

It was a lovely moment, that walk, that shared experience. I felt that good feeling that comes from being with someone else.

While I walked, I thought about what I could say in Khmer to be understood, and I have a feeling that she was thinking the same thought, too. We lacked the words to acknowledge the moment.

So we smiled.


(*definition from Merriam-Webster online)

No comments:

Post a Comment